Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Not sleeping like a baby

Brad and I have been blessed with someone we think is a pretty chilled-out baby. We've heard many stories about babies who scream non-stop for the first few months, and Liam doesn't really cry much, unless he's really upset about something specific. And as soon as we figure out the reason, we can always get him to stop crying within minutes.

He has his "fussy" moments (when he's grumpy and seemingly inconsolable) a few hours a day, but most of the time he seems to be happy and content.

There is one big problem and that is SLEEP.

Seriously -- our kid doesn't believe in sleep. He will sleep for one longish (3-4 hour) stretch early at night, like from 8-midnight. And he usually takes a 1.5-2-hour nap during the day. But for the rest of the day and night, his sleep schedule is completely erratic and a stretch of sleep never lasts longer than an hour or so. It's completely exhausting and I want to kick myself for spending half of my pregnancy constantly poking my belly and drinking OJ to get him to move!

When he wakes up in the middle of the night, I change him, feed him and try my damnedest to rock him to sleep and put him back in his Pack n Play, but it's usually an hour-long process and when I put him down he fusses and grunts and carries on until dawn. The only, and I mean ONLY thing that will get him to sleep soundly is to bring him to bed with me. I've done it a couple of times, but definitely don't want to get into the habit of it for various reasons.

I know that he's capable of sleeping for 4 hours, so I'm hoping that we can slowly lengthen that first stretch of sleep until it lasts 7 or 8 hours. I don't even mind getting up at 4 a.m. with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment