Friday, November 6, 2009

STTN

Until Liam was 6 weeks old, I thought I would never sleep again. Most of my friends had babies who slept in 4-5 hour stretches at night from the very start; Liam had never slept more than 3 hours at a time. I loved the kid, but I was miserable. Everyone kept telling me, "It'll get better! He'll be sleeping through the night in no time!" and I honestly didn't believe them. I kept thinking that Brad and I had the world's only baby who would never, ever sleep longer than 3 hours at a time.

Then, one night, at about 6 weeks, he slept from 9-3. I'll never forget it. When he woke up at 3, had a bottle and went back to sleep, I was so excited that *I* couldn't get back to sleep. That was the turning point.

Liam is now 14 weeks old, and he's officially sleeping through the night -- and by that I mean going to bed at 7:30 and waking up at 6:30 with NO WAKEUPS in between. Not only that, but he's a breeze to put to bed at night. No crying it out for this kid. After his bath, we put him down and he's out like a light until morning. He's not much of a daytime napper (yesterday, honest to god, he only napped for 20 minutes all day) but you can't have it all.

I know it won't last forever -- I've heard plenty of stories of sleep regression at 4 months, 6 months, even 10 months. But for now, I feel like I've arrived. We made it through the amazingly sleep-deprived first few months. We didn't die. (Then again, we didn't operate any heavy machinery.) And our kid sleeps through the night. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment